Tuesday, April 26, 2011

What Foundation Are You Building On?






There are some disturbing things taking place in the Church, today. Many Christians are being taught things that just are not Biblically correct. There are churches that have done completely away with Sunday morning preaching. And then there are churches that should probably do away with Sunday morning preaching because what is being expounded from the pulpit is almost blasphemous.

I recently spoke with someone about the confusion they are dealing with because of what they have been taught, what experience has taught them and what they think might be right, in regards to God, the Bible and basic Christian living.

Lord, help us, because we need to know the truth and You are the truth. Set our minds, hearts and spirits free from confusion. Amen.

I was sitting in church one Sunday and as we read some verses out of First Corinthians there were two that stood out for me, in neon lighting, First Corinthians 3:10-11 -

10   According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it.
11   For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

I had to underline and highlight the part that said, “…But let each one take heed how he builds on it. For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.”

That just stuck in my head and spirit.

Going back to my conversation with the person who was expressing confusion in regarding what they believed…. I realized they had confusion because they had a foundation that was faulty and everything that was built on that foundation was faulty as well.

That brings me to a very important question, “If we have built our beliefs on a faulty foundation, what happens when that foundation begins to crumble and fall apart?”

Going to the one source I know to be true and truth, I open my Bible and turn to Matthew 7:24-27;

24   "Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock:
25   and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock.
26   "But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand:
27   and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its fall."

Now, in case you don’t realize it that is Jesus speaking. What I want us to look at is the difference between the two men Jesus is talking about. The first one in verse 24 built his house on the rock. (Remember the rock because we are going to go back to that in a moment.) When the rain, floods and winds came and beat on his house, it didn’t fall because it was built on the rock. His foundation was hearing and doing the things Jesus taught. His foundation was the Rock.

By the way, the rain, floods and winds represent the troubles, cares and worries we deal with every day, as well as hardships and other turmoil we may face. There is more to it, but that is the basic picture we are looking at for this time.

Looking at the second man, we find he built his house on the sand.

I love the beach. I think standing and looking at the ocean at a safe distance on the beach and marveling at how God will only allow the waves to come up so far is awesome. At the same time, I also realize I am standing on shifting sands. Every time a wave comes in and laps at my feet and the sand I’m standing on I feel it shifting and my feet sink deeper into it.

Now imagine your house and the foundation of it is sand. When the rain, floods and winds beat at your house to all get out, your house is going to fall. It’s not going to fall just a little bit, but as Jesus said, “…And great was its fall.

Many churches are teaching that all roads lead to God. Many churches are doing away with the cross and the blood. There are churches that are mixing eastern mysticism and other religions with a watered-down Christianity. Is there any wonder there is confusion in the Church? Is there any wonder “houses” are experiencing great falls when people are facing trouble in their lives?

When it came to foundation building Paul told the Corinthians to “…take heed how he builds on it.” He then told them that there was no other foundation but Jesus Christ.

How then can we build a foundation that is made of other religions? How can we have a solid foundation when it consists of false teaching, greasy grace, and worship that is flesh-satisfying instead of God-edifying? Lord have mercy on us!

Paul said Jesus Christ is the only foundation. Jesus told us, in His own words, to hear and do what He said to do and He will liken us to the wise man who built his house on the rock.

Paul reminds us in the same letter to the Corinthians that the children of Israel drank the same spiritual drink. That spiritual Rock they drank from was Christ. (I Corinthians 10:4; Exodus 17:6)

Moses had intimate knowledge of that Rock (Exodus 33). When he asked God to show him His glory, the LORD told him,

21   And the LORD said, "Here is a place by Me, and you shall stand on the rock.
22  So it shall be, while My glory passes by, that I will put you in the cleft of the  
     rock, and will cover you with My hand while I pass by. [Emphasis is mine.]

I particularly love that part where He tells Moses He had a place by Him. Then we find out that place is the rock. And as we learned from Paul, that Rock is none other than Jesus Christ. (Also Deuteronomy 32:4) What an incredibly precious place for Moses to find himself; in the heart of Christ Jesus. There is no other place I would rather be but in the heart of my Savior.

Now we know Jesus Christ is the Rock. Now we know we are to build our “house” on the Rock. Now we know there is no other foundation to build on but Jesus Christ.

How then can we do anything else? How then can our foundation be anything less then Christ Jesus?

The Psalmist knew what and who is his foundation. Time after time, verse after verse…. He would say, “The LORD is my rock, my fortress, my deliverer, my shield, the horn of my salvation, my stronghold, and the Rock of my salvation. (Psalm 18; 27; 28; 31; 40; 42; 61; 62; 71; 89; 92; 94; 95)

What are you building your foundation on? Who are you building your foundation on? Is your foundation a conglomeration of various religions? Is it based on yourself? Do you find yourself floundering in shifting, sinking sands as you try to hold on in the face of adversity? Perhaps your foundation is your church denomination, or a church leader.

Let me turn your eyes and your hearts to the true foundation. Turn your eyes and your heart to the Rock. Gaze upon the One who shed His blood to cleanse you from sin. Look upon His bruised and beaten face and body, He was bruised for our iniquities. He was wounded for our transgressions. The chastisement of our peace was upon Him. And by His stripes we are healed. (Isaiah 53.5)

O hear the heart of your Savior. Hear His call to you. Let Him be your foundation. Seek Him with all your heart, mind and soul and you will find Him. Repent of your sins, turn from your sinful ways, turn to the One who is able to save you and give you eternal life. Build your house upon Jesus Christ, the Rock of your salvation. Then when the rain, floods and winds come to beat on your house, it will not fall because it’s built on the Rock, Jesus Christ.


LaTawnia Kintz


All scripture is taken from the New King James Version.
















No comments:

Post a Comment